The UWCA creates great adventures for youth, families, and adults on the Mississippi River. Join us for a day trip, overnight camping trip, or multi-day trip. It's an experience that will last a lifetime.
The Urban Wilderness Canoe Adventures (UWCA) program is designed to introduce people to the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area and other fabulous outdoor recreation and education venues in the urban core of Minneapolis, St. Paul and surrounding communities. By helping people to discover the environment that exists in their own backyards, our goals are to:
- Provide 10,000 youth annually with direct, "hands-on" experiences with nature.
- Address the educational achievement gap by reducing summer learning loss, and engaging students in ways that motivate them to learn.
- Build an ethic of land stewardship in a large and diverse population of young people.
- Connect new audiences to public lands, and the agencies and organizations that care for them
- Introduce youth to employment, education, and volunteer opportunities in outdoor recreation, environmental sciences, and natural resource management.
- Increase opportunities for overnight camping along the Mississippi River from Coon Rapids to Red Wing.
If you love the BWCA, you will love the UWCA!